[25. Nov 2005]:
- The current version of Togl in CVS contains code that enables this
widget to run on MacOSX with Aqua, which opens the doors to a native
MacOSX Aqua port of Ayam, first experiments
prove that this actually works, but many things need to be changed in
order to make this port usable. Updated Makefile.shared and ayamConf.tcl
files are in the works.
[21. Oct 2005]:
[25. Aug 2005]:
- The current CVS version of Ayam now contains two new scripting interface
commands setProperty and getProperty that ease the management of
property values for script writers. In addition, the forAll and
forAllT scripting interface commands now maintain the selection.
[27. Jul 2005]:
- New in CVS is now a new NURBS tesselation and drawing mode called
STESS (for Simple TESSelation). Support for drawing trimmed NURBS patches
and shading of NURBS patches is currently still in the works, but a
sample implementation back in the old Mops-V0.42d-days proved that this
A highlight of this new drawing mode is that the tesselation is
only done once and then cached. It is therefore faster but also
of lower quality than drawing with the GLU tesselation. The quality
of the new tesselation mode is automatically derived from the GLU
sampling tolerance setting.
[8. Jul 2005]:
- New in CVS is a mechanism for cascaded script objects (a script object
of type modify modifies the objects created by another script object
of type create). An example of this can be seen in this screenshot:
script object to bend curves bends a spiral created by the example
script object spiral according to the shape of the white curve; the
bending process may be controlled interactively by modifying the
[6. Jul 2005]:
- Linux: The Ayam libstdc++ archive has been updated to also include
libstdc++.so.3 (for using the onio plugin on older distributions like
Suse8.2) and there is now also a small shell script (ayaml) that sets
the LD_LIBRARY_PATH variable and then starts Ayam.
[26. Jun 2005]:
- Ayam 1.8.3 is now available. This release adds Wavefront OBJ import (for
polygons and NURBS), improves OpenNURBS (Rhino) import/export, adds UV
coordinate import and export, and improves the usability of property GUI
elements (instant apply).
[5. Jun 2005]:
- The CVS-Head has improved a lot on
import/export, e.g. import of trimcurves
and automatic merging of the way too many imported PolyMesh objects
from Wavefront OBJ files;
support for texture coordinates as "mys"/"myt" primitive variable tags
has been added to Wavefront OBJ and Rhino 3DM (onio) import and export;
in addition, Rhino 3DM (onio) export now handles PolyMesh objects.
- By the way, on this weekend the C/C++ part of Ayam passed
the magic mark of 111111 lines...
[31. May 2005]:
[27. May 2005]:
[17. May 2005]:
- News from the CVS-Head: onio import now
handles polymesh objects; Wavefront OBJ import now handles NURBS
curves and surfaces. Ongoing work concentrates on import of trimcurves,
support for texture coordinates (read as "mys"/"myt" primitive variables),
and automatic merging of the way too many imported PolyMesh objects.
[5. May 2005]:
- Ayam 1.8.2 is now available. This release adds a Rhino 3DM file
import/export plugin, NURBS conversion capabilities to all quadrics,
rescaling of NURBS knot vectors, and script object controlled property GUIs.
[13. Apr 2005]:
[28. Mar 2005]:
- Since Ayam 1.8, the official Linux executable of Ayam seems not to be
statically linked against libstdc++ anymore. This means that on some
modern Linux distributions you may not be able to start the official Ayam
executable; it complains that it cannot find "libstdc++-libc6.2-2.so.3".
I am currently investigating this and the culprit seems to be g++-3.0
that does not link statically where g++-2.95.4 does (same link line used!).
g++3.x has to be used for the AyCSG-plugin and OpenCSG so it is
not an option to go back to gcc2.95.4. An option to get
Ayam to run is to install the requested
libstdc++.so (TGZ, 260K) locally
to the ayam bin directory and adapt the LD_LIBRARY_PATH accordingly.
[14. Mar 2005]:
- Since modern Linux distributions (like e.g. Ubuntu) do not have a
libtiff.so.3 but libtiff.so.4, Ayam 1.8.1 for Linux is now available
in a new binary that has libtiff statically linked.
[26. Feb 2005]:
- Ayam 1.8.1 is now available. This release focusses
on major bug-fixes for the AyCSG CSG preview
plugin and the inclusion of the new object type
[23. Jan 2005]:
[15. Jan 2005]:
- The CVS-Head now contains a new plugin "onio"
that uses OpenNURBS to read 3DM
files written by e.g. Rhino.
[9. Jan 2005]:
- The download page now contains a
working aycsg plug-in for the IRIX platform.
[1. Jan 2005]:
- The download page now contains a
statically linked aycsg plug-in for the Linux platform (that should
be loadable on more different Linux distributions than the shared
linked aycsg plug-in from the original Ayam archive).
- There are now four example scripts for the new Script object in the
- The first script demonstrates a Script object of type "Create" by
creating a spiral curve. See a
screenshot (PNG, 77K). Note
how well the script object fits into the Tool-Object system, being
directly usable as parameter object of a Sweep object. Note also that
changing the shape of the spiral (e.g. its radius) is as easy as changing
the line "set r 3.0" to "set r 5.0" and pressing the "Apply" button.
Furthermore, by inserting just another line in the for-loop of the
script, the shape of the curve can be made
much more interesting (PNG, 70K).
- The second script demonstrates a Script object of type "Modify" that
deforms a NURBS curve according to the shape of a second NURBS curve.
screenshot (PNG, 40K).
- The third script also uses a Script object of type "Modify", this time
to create optimized texture coordinates that will be written into
primitive variable tags. See
this image (PNG, 55K) for the
effect of this, left: unmodified, right: optimized texture coordinates.
Read the old news from:
top of page
Randolf Schultz, 3. Feb 2008